I needed a quick project that would result in a new toddler toy. Behold, the felt hand-puppets!
The boys are having great fun with them! I can’t wait to add more animals to their collection!
Making one of these is very simple – no crafting experience necessary. All you need is some felt, scissors and a sewing machine (or needle and thread).
*** TWENTY-MINUTE PROJECT ***
- Find a clip art or basic outline of an animal face that you like (you could also use a side profile of the full animal)
- Cut out two of the basic outline – one for the front and one for the back. Cut out colored embellishments (eyes, etc.) and attach them to the front (sew them on for longevity; if you’re short on time, use a glue gun)
- Create hand pocket larger than your toddler’s hand (cut two squares or rectangles and sew together on three sides, leaving the last side open for the hand to go in).
- Place the hand pocket in between the front and back pieces, with the open side aligned with the bottom of the other pieces. Pin in place.
- Sew all the way around the edge, leaving the opening for the pocket (when you reach the pocket, sew the bottom edge of the top pocket-piece to the edge of the front, and the bottom edge of the bottom pocket-piece to the bottom edge of the back).
- Before completing your seam, insert stuffing in the animal, on both sides of the pocket. Complete seam.
And there you have it! A delightful little hand puppet for your little one. If your toddler’s hand size out grows the pocket, or he just doesn’t like puppets, sew the bottom edge together, closing the hand pocket, and you now have a softie your toddler can carry around or take to bed.
You can be as detailed or sketchy as you want with these…
More details = more aesthetic.
Fewer details = more room for your child’s imagination. I used animal outlines, but you can use the same idea to make cars, plants, people…
Finally, one of the best parts of this project is that you can whip it up so quickly! If you decide to do it all by hand and have two toddlers requiring most of your attention at the same time, it will take a couple of hours. If you use a machine and have full concentration, you can do it in about 20 minutes.